6/07/2006

Open space

Soooo I don't hate it. Well, I do hate it. I hate some of it.

The hate:
- Can be really loud
- Gets even louder than that at times
- Hard to concentrate
- 3' of desk space means effectively no desk space
- Uncomfortable

The good:
- It is nice to hang out with the team I'm working with all the time. I really like them, and we seem to have a pretty good sense of humor
- It's good to be in on all the team conversations and decisions
- Bonding. Awwww.

Overall, it's really made me wish there was a compromise solution. I wouldn't mind an open space environment for a small team, with some meeting space. But this thing, where we've got... 30, 40 people in a huge room? This just isn't right.

2 Comments:

At 11:01 AM , Blogger Ira said...

The probelm with Open Space is that it, like almost everything else in the western business world today, assumes that everyone is a people person.

There's actually a movement to get society to respect the anti-social as having a valid outlook, and they're patterning their struggle after the very successful campaigns to get gay people recognised as just ordinary folk which we've seen work over the past 20 years or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autistic_Pride_Day

 
At 6:59 PM , Blogger Scraps said...

I just read that you've left. I'm sorry -- assuming that's the appropriate sentiment.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home